The Self-Taught Programmer : The Definitive Guide to Programming Professionally
Author: Cory AlthoffPublisher: Kindle Edition
The Self-Taught Programmer : The Definitive Guide to Programming Professionally Details
I am a self-taught programmer. After a year of self-study, I learned to program well enough to land a job as a software engineer II at eBay. Once I got there, I realized I was severely under-prepared. I was overwhelmed by the amount of things I needed to know but hadn learned yet. My journey learning to program, and my experience at my first job as a software engineer were the inspiration for this book.
This book is not just about learning to program; although you will learn to code. If you want to program professionally, it is not enough to learn to code; that is why, in addition to helping you learn to program, I also cover the rest of the things you need to know to program professionally that classes and books don't teach you.The Self-taught Programmer is a roadmap, a guide to take you from writing your first Python program, to passing your first technical interview. I divided the book into five sections:
1. Learn to program in Python 3 and build your first program.
2. Learn Object-oriented programming and create a powerful Python program to get you hooked.
3. Learn to use tools like Git, Bash, regular expressions and databases. Then use your new coding skills to build a web scraper.
4. Study Computer Science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
5. Finish with tips for working with a team and landing a programming job.
You CAN learn to program professionally. The path is there. Will you take it?